Wednesday 22 June 2016

MORE Appreciation

We are hardest on ourselves and the first to criticize what we "think" is a flaw in our bodies. I have done it, and probably will continue to do it, even though I am getting MUCH better.
Let me lay this out...I am NOT tall..I am a shorty, and I am built with a "sturdy" body & have always been this way...I fondly refer to my legs as tree trunks. And I didn't like them for a long time. Because I had cellulite, because they were huge, because they were dimply...you get me. 
But my thoughts have changed over the last few years when I realized that while I was criticizing my body, others were looking at me with admiration because of something else I wasn't paying attention to..like my arm or my eyes. Just like in return, I was looking back at them for their butts (yes, I notice butts first!!) and abs. Or their hair, that was always salon worthy. I momentaily forget that I have some pretty incredible strengths that shine through. In light of everything that I thought was a weakness, I just blanked out all that was a strength. Why the heck DO we do this anyway? I know I am not alone, because I speak with women every single day who are doing the EXACT. SAME. THING! 
I am working on changing that and it paying it forward to other ladies by showing them all that is beautiful and strong about them. I don't think it will magically disappear overnight, but I have grown a TON in the last year, especially. 
The thing I do know is comparions is the thief of JOY. 
Like I said, I am changing that thought process into one that is grateful and totally appreciative of everything I have been blessed with physically, mentally, and and spiritually. 
This is what I do know:
I have STRONG legs that carry me through each day and take me to the top of mountains, running down country roads and deadlifting a PR of 215 pounds last week.
I have a pretty wicked sense of humor and I can make my kids crack up at the drop of a hat.
I am creative, and a gypsy of sorts. It is what has made me resilient through some of the toughest times in my life. 
My body carried 2 incredible children and at 47 years old, I feel pretty damn good about how strong and fit I am.
I am a great mom, grandma and wife. Life is about SO much more than how you look in the mirror and it sure took me a long time to figure that out, but I am getting there. 
I will no doubt still need to work on this because it doesn't change overnight. Maybe it comes with age...I am not sure. But as I head towards 50 (GASP...did I JUST say that)...I know the things that were pertinent in my life at 27 or 37 years old is NOT what rules my life now. 
THAT is one thing I am grateful for most of all!
So here is to imperfectly wonderful bodies, with strong-ass tree trunks legs, with cellulite, with stretch marks, with sweaty hair, with a gypsy heart and with the ability to compare less and appreciate MORE!

SHARE:

2 comments

  1. Hey Wendy:
    Thanks for posting. I have had the same feelings and revelations. I will be 48 the end the this year. I'm not sure I love the look of my legs yet but I certainly appreciate all that they can do! I likely would look very odd with someone else's. Ha!
    I am loving your post and videos. You make me smile everytime and encourage me to keep doing something.
    Thanks.
    Laurie Schaeffer from Ontario

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Laurie! I agree...we would be funny looking being something other than ourselves! I appreciate your comment. Let's keep kicking butt together in our late 40's, right?? :-)

    ReplyDelete

© WENDY KENNEDY. All rights reserved.
Blogger templates by pipdig