Thursday 9 November 2017

Chalkboard DIY


OHHH, don't you just LOVE those moments when you stumble upon a most gorgeous find for less than a cup of coffee?  I nabbed this baby at ReStore (it was hiding inside a hugeee cupboard there) & knew exactly what I wanted to do with it right at the store:  A Chalkboard!


I took it apart and gave it a good cleaning and was ready to dig in.  

I wanted to use the actual print itself for the chalkboard, so to seal it in and give an awesome base to paint on, I brushed on a coat of KILZ.  

I still had a lot of Cascadia FAT paint left from redoing my SIDE TABLE, and with Christmas coming, this frame was screaming to be painted in this color. I did 2 coats on the frame.

If you have never tried FAT Paint before you should check them out HERE because their colors are AHHHMAZING!!  I am semi obsessed with all things FAT right now.  #sorrynotsorry

This is hands down my favorite chalkboard paint: RUSTOLEUM CHALKBOARD PAINT, which you can get at The Home Depot or Lowes if you have one close.  Clean up is super easy!


This is 2 coats of chalkboard paint. 


After everything dried I used a sanding block and gave the frame a light sanding, focusing on the edges and places where things would naturally wear off over time.  That keeps it authentic looking. I love seeing the original gold peek through. I then sealed the entire frame with MINWAX CLEAR PASTE WAX, then buffed it out after 5 minutes.  I used FAT Patina Wax in the nooks and crannies to give it even more depth and warmth.  LOVE.  IT! 


I prepped the chalkboard, then reassembled and I am ECSTATIC over how it turned out. This might not be it's permanent home, but I had the space here to hang it up and I could not wait! I am SO excited to start decorating for Christmas and include this in the mix!





**CUE ANGELS SINGING**

Do you have a chalkboard anywhere in your house or have you wanted to add one to your decor?  I'd love to see yours too! Drop a link to your blog below in comments and share with me.

Cheers,
Wendy

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© WENDY KENNEDY. All rights reserved.
Blogger templates by pipdig